We live in an ever-changing world and are always looking for change as humans. This is why I decided to handpick the top 12 best Windows 10 themes 2022 that can be enjoyed as a free download. The reason is that I got bored with the same old looks of my desktop along with the wallpaper and icons.
If you are into modifications and love to play around with design changes, you have landed at the right place to give your desktop a brand-new look and feel.
Table of Contents
- 1 What you need to know about Themes/Skins
- 2 The 12 Best Windows 10 Themes For 2022 (Free Download)
- 2.1 Mac OS X EI Capitan – Transform Windows into Mac
- 2.2 GreyEveTheme – Dark Colours
- 2.3 Ubuntu SkinPack – Get the feel and looks of Linux
- 2.4 Simplify 10 Vanilla v2.0 – Be minimalistic
- 2.5 Windows XP Theme – Make Win 10 look like XP
- 2.6 Iron Man Avengers Theme
- 2.7 Silk – Adorable looks
- 2.8 Hover Dark Aero – A Black Theme
- 2.9 Anime 4K Theme
- 2.10 3D Theme for Windows 10 – Enjoy Visual Effects
- 2.11 Aero Glass – For Transparency Lovers
- 2.12 3D HD Theme
- 2.13 Overwatch Gaming Theme
- 2.14 Windows 7 theme for Windows 10
- 3 How to Change Your Theme in Windows 10 (Step-by-Step)
- 4 Are you going to use any of the above?
What you need to know about Themes/Skins
Also known as “Skins“, they are simply a configuration file that contains a number of wallpapers, Icon packs, and Sound packs that will edit the colors of the visual side of your desktop, that’s all. They are very easy to apply and do not cause any harm to your PC or its performance.
What you can change:
- Various menus
The 12 Best Windows 10 Themes For 2022 (Free Download)
Mac OS X EI Capitan – Transform Windows into Mac
If you are looking for something that can replicate the look of MacOSX then this one is designed for you and might be the best pick as well. It has many different features even the app drawer which looks similar to it.
- It is able to change the windows 10 interface to macOS.
- It is used to replace the taskbar with Mac Dock.
- It is able to change icons.
READ: 10 Free File Renamer Tools that can change file names in batches.
GreyEveTheme – Dark Colours
If you are the kind of person who is a fan of dark mode or anything related to it then this one is designed for you. This is seemed to be the top dark theme. Such themes carry a lot of benefits as they put less strain on the eyes. If you are using a laptop with an Oled display then it shall save a lot of battery life.
This will make turn everything black on the desktop. This includes background, accent, colors, and cursor. It is designed in a way that pleases the user with its color and stealth look.
Ubuntu SkinPack – Get the feel and looks of Linux
Many of us have used Ubuntu thus with this amazing theme you can get the complete interface of in on your Windows 10. Now what it does is convert your system to it. it is considered to be one of the best skin packs or themes that users can use to get such an interface.
- Able to replicate the look.
- It is compatible with windows 7, windows 8, and Windows 10.
- It comes in free and is easy to use.
READ: How to Calibrate Your Monitor for better gaming and HD colors.
Simplify 10 Vanilla v2.0 – Be minimalistic
This is yet another on the list which is clean and elegant. The theme is borderless and shares the same look somehow with any online cloud service. Get it to enjoy all the features it has.
- It is simple, subtle, and quite pretty.
- It does not have any visible frame around the window, like others.
- A simple one that is free to use.
READ: 10 Note Taking Apps for Windows 10 which work with any Stylus Pen.
Windows XP Theme – Make Win 10 look like XP
XP theme is considered to be the most favorite theme in the world. All of us have seen this one at least once in our lifetime. Seeing this as part of the list brings back a lot of memories of the previous versions of windows.
To apply this, classic shell XP is required. These are a set of all the customization tools that are needed to change the look of windows 10 it. It provides original XP visuals with a blue taskbar and a green start button.
Iron Man Avengers Theme
A lot of avengers fans are out there and some might be reading this article as well. We bring you a thrilling theme. It includes new icons, colors, and wallpapers that are centered along with your favorite characters such as Thor and Iron man. It carries a total of 18 HD or 4K wallpapers that rotate each time your system is turned on or off.
READ: Learn how to take full advantage of the Sticky Notes App.
Silk – Adorable looks
This is seemed to be one of the most beautiful themes that one can get and apply. It is designed in a way to enhance users’ OS look. Now what it does is that it changes your OS into a Notebook one. The best part of this is that the user can customize it’s according to his wish.
- Best skins for windows 10.
- It is able to transform UI from standard to minimal notebook form.
- It offers users different color schemes, wallpapers, and much more.
- It is free to download and use.
Update: This theme looks to now be discontinued.
Hover Dark Aero – A Black Theme
This can be used as an alternative to the one mentioned above. This is seemed to be the best true dark mode theme for windows 10 that is there for download. It carries everything in black when compared with GreyEve which carries a shade of grey as well.
In order to install popular themes on your windows, you need to have UXThemePatcher installed. It shall provide you with a true dark mode as you wish to have. It helps users focus better at night while they look at their screens. For now, it is receiving updates and making sure to get the latest version.
Anime 4K Theme
Do you love watching Anime series? Then this 4K anime theme is perfect for you! It comes with a complete set of wallpapers with popular characters including Goku, Light Yagami, Naruto, and many others. It also comes with a cursor replacement and sounds.
3D Theme for Windows 10 – Enjoy Visual Effects
These have been around for quite some time now and have existed in various categories. Such a theme provides a holographic look and HD wallpapers.
In this, you shall get various images including spheres and cubes. This one is full of 3D graphics and icons and shall provide you with quite a pleasing look.
Download 3D Theme
Aero Glass – For Transparency Lovers
This gives windows 10 a great look. It is a skin that provides a native look of its interface on your system. With these users get a cool glassy transparent interface. The best part about this one is that it comes free. It provides its users with different customization options.
Aero Glass Features:
- It replicates the look of Windows 7 OS.
- It renders windows with transparent borders.
- It is completely integrated into the desktop window manager.
3D HD Theme
This is one of the top-rated themes. It completely transforms the look and feels of your OS. The best part about this one is that the 3D theme features HD wallpapers in 3D graphics which look amazing. It comes in free and is easy to use.
- Best HD theme for windows 10 ever made.
- The theme pack carries 17 HD wallpapers, which provide the illusion of 3D graphics.
- Free and easy to use.
Overwatch Gaming Theme
Overwatch is a famous shooter game developed by Blizzard. It is available for all major platforms including Windows, Xbox, and PlayStation. First released in 2016, it was the fourth release in the series by the studio. The theme pack comes with the following icons:
- RIP-Tire (Network and Junkrat’s)
- Torbjorn’s Turret
- Tracer Pulse Bomb
There are also HD wallpapers, other noticeable icons, and system sound that get changed when you install the Overwatch theme.
Windows 7 theme for Windows 10
If you are still on Windows 7 first of all you should upgrade! However, if you like the visual appeal and transparent UI then you can also make your current OS look like it without an upgrade.
- Brings back the original Windows 7 folder and desktop icons.
- Makes your taskbar 3D and transparent when you hover with the mouse.
- Windows explorer tabs get a refresh along with the classic wallpapers you like.
How to Change Your Theme in Windows 10 (Step-by-Step)
Doing this can be a bit complicated and challenging as well. Just make sure that you follow the following steps carefully for this purpose.
Method #1: Install from ZIP File (Easy)
- You need to be sure that you have with you all the ZIP files of the theme that is downloaded, extracted, and ready to use.
- You need to then place the file into:
- To change the theme you need to go to settings > personalization > themes.
Method #2: Use EXE Installer (Very Easy)
- Now some of the themes have their own EXE installer file.
- All you need to do is run the installer file and it applies the theme on your desktop.
Keep in mind: Always create a backup or system restore point before doing any kind of customization.
Method #3: Use UXThemePatcher (Intermediate)
- You need to download and install the UXThemePatcher.
- Once you have the theme files, move them to the following location:
- To change the theme all you need to do is go into the desktop preferences of your system.
Are you going to use any of the above?
Let’s face the truth! 2021 has already been harsh with all the issues around the pandemic! However, I have tried to put together the above list of the top 12 best Windows 10 of 2022 for free download. This should make your desktop much fresher and look new, and they are also easier to apply.
Think twice before installing custom Windows 10 themes
"These gimmicky themes are clearly not created with security in mind, and at the risk of exposing passwords and other sensitive data, I would suggest users think twice when installing them," Jake Moore, a cybersecurity specialist at ESET, says.
If you're running the most recent version of Windows 10, head to Settings (Windows key + I) > Personalization > Colors, scroll down and set the default app mode to Dark. The theme will change the Windows system apps and Microsoft's store apps.Where can I download Windows 10 themes? ›
Select Start , then select Settings > Personalization > Themes. Choose from a default theme or select Get more themes from Microsoft Store if you want to download new themes with desktop backgrounds that feature cute critters, breathtaking landscapes, and other smile-inducing options.Which themes app is best? ›
- Action Launcher.
- Energy Bar (or Energy Ring)
- KWGT and KLWP.
- Nova Launcher.
If you want to change up the way your Android device looks, you can easily get free Android themes from the Google Play Store.Is dark mode better for eyes? ›
Dark mode doesn't directly reduce eye strain, but it can offer some relief. For example, in a dim setting, a bright screen has your eyes working harder. On the contrary, a dark screen in a brightly lit room will have the same effect. -Easier to read.What are some unique themes? ›
- #1 Life on Mars. By 2028, a Mars-themed party could have a very different meaning. ...
- #2 Galaxy. ...
- #3 Alien Invasion. ...
- #4 NASA/Space. ...
- #5 Night at the Oscars. ...
- #6 Classic Hollywood. ...
- #7 Space Jam. ...
- #8 Alice in Wonderland.
Windows 11 is worth the update for most people. It comes with a wide range of new features, performance improvements, and design changes. As the latest Windows OS, it usually gets more attention than Windows 10, too. There's not too much risk in upgrading to Windows 11, either.What are the hidden features of Windows 10? ›
- Secret Start Menu. If you're a fan of that old-school (i.e. non-tiled) Start Menu experience, you can still have it—sort of. ...
- Shake. ...
- Silence Notifications with Focus Assist. ...
- Pin Your People. ...
- Stop Typing, Start Dictating. ...
- Hidden Games in Cortana.
- Set new desktop wallpaper. Changing the wallpaper is an easy and classic move to make when personalizing your computer. ...
- Change lock screen background. ...
- Organize your desktop. ...
- Install and customize Rainmeter. ...
- Replace icons and fonts. ...
- Use Conky or another desktop environment.
- Crtl + C: Copy.
- Ctrl + X: Cut.
- Crtl + V: Paste.
- Crtl + Z: Undo last action (these Crtl tips work with most software)
- Alt + Tab: Cycle through open programs.
- Win + Tab: See all open program on a per-monitor basis, summon Windows Timeline.
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More. Settings.
- Under "Appearance," click Themes. You can also go to the gallery by visiting Chrome Web Store Themes.
- Click the thumbnails to preview different themes.
- When you find a theme you'd like to use, click Add to Chrome.
Alternatively, you can go to the Microsoft Store website: Windows themes - Microsoft Store. The themes will still be downloaded and installed via the app, but you don't necessarily need a Microsoft account to download the free ones.Is premium theme free? ›
Pros of Premium WordPress Themes
Unlike free themes, premium WordPress themes are available for purchase from numerous third-party WordPress theme shops and marketplaces. The biggest advantage of a premium theme is that you get more features and customization options.
You can select from thousands of themes using the Chrome Web Store, and despite what the word "store" might suggest, most themes are free.How to download Envato themes for free? ›
- On the Envato Elements home page, hover over the main menu.
- Select Downloads.
- Select the item you want to download.
- Click 'Download'
- Select 'Trial Use' or 'Project Use' (If project use is selected, create a name for your project)
- Your download will now begin.
To change your current theme: Click Start > Settings > Personalization > Themes. Under "Change theme", click the tile to switch to the theme you'd like to use.Does blue light damage eyes? ›
Constant exposure to blue light over time could damage retinal cells and cause vision problems such as age-related macular degeneration. It can also contribute to cataracts, eye cancer and growths on the clear covering over the white part of the eye.Which mode is good for eyes? ›
Dark mode purportedly reduces glare and blue light on your digital screens, making it a better option for your eyes as compared to light mode.Which color mode is good for eyes? ›
When it comes to color combinations, your eyes prefer black text on a white or slightly yellow background. Other dark-on-light combinations work fine for most people. Avoid low contrast text/background color schemes. If you wear contacts, your eyes have to work harder when staring at a screen.
- Free will vs. Fate.
- 1 Beauty.
- 2 Good vs. evil.
- 3 Coming-of-age.
- 4 Loyalty.
- 5 Betrayal.
- 6 Life and death.
- 7 Justice.
- 8 Family.
100 Themes Challenge simply gives artists a starting point... you go from there! How does it work? There are five variations, each with 100 themes. You can pick your favorite variation from the 5 pre-existing ones or mix and match themes from multiple variations.Is 8GB RAM enough for Windows 11? ›
I've done a lot of testing of different systems, and I now recommend that 8GB be considered a practical minimum for Windows 11.Is Windows 11 very buggy? ›
I'm facing a lot of problems with windows 11, even after I did a clean install. I had to do clean install as I had some problem with windows Photos and video editor apps. first both apps got corrupted after update and all fixes failed to reinstall them back.Is Windows 10 good for gaming? ›
Windows 10 is a great OS for gamers, mixing native games, supporting retro titles, and even Xbox One streaming. But it isn't perfect straight out of the box. Some tweaks are required to enjoy the best gaming experience Windows 10 has to offer. Here are several ways to optimize your Windows 10 PC for gaming.How do you make you PC quiet but still cool the best? ›
- Replace old fans. Replacing fans is a pretty cheap and easy way to get rid of PC noise. ...
- Switch over to an SSD. ...
- Add sound insulation. ...
- Check your fan mounting and dust build-up. ...
- Lower fan speed. ...
- Add fan controllers. ...
- Change your power supply. ...
- Change your PC case.
Don't try to rush the warming by placing the box near a heat source. The best way to acclimate a system us to let it sit at room temperature until the case has warmed, a minimum of 20 minutes but an hour or longer to be sure. It depends on how cold the device is and the humidity of your room.What is God mode in Windows 10? ›
God Mode allows you to quickly access important Control Panel settings from a single location. For this to work, you have to have administrator rights for your PC first. To enable God Mode in Windows 10: Right-click on the desktop and select New > Folder.What does the F7 key do in Windows 10? ›
F7: Replies to the e-mail in the active window. F11: Saves the file in the active window. F9: Sends the e-mail in the active window. F10: Starts the spell checking program in the active document, if the document's program has this feature.
- Create a new folder on your desktop. ...
- Name the folder GodMode. ...
- Once you hit Enter after changing the name, that name will disappear, and the icon should change into a Control Panel icon.
- You can now open the folder to access all the settings inside.
- Seek Universal Themes. ...
- Choose a Theme That Sticks With Your Reader. ...
- Start With Another Story Element. ...
- Create an Outline. ...
- Weave Your Theme Throughout the Narrative. ...
- Include Multiple Themes. ...
- Don't Limit Yourself.
- Go to the Stylish for Chrome install page.
- Click on the 'Add to Chrome' button.
- Click 'Add' on the confirmation dialog.
- Stylish's icon will be added to your browser's toolbar.
- Visit any website and click on the Stylish icon.
- You'll see the top 6 available themes for the visited site.
- On the Page Layout tab in Excel or the Design tab in Word, click Colors, and then click Customize Colors.
- Click the button next to the theme color you want to change (for example, Accent 1 or Hyperlink), and then pick a color under Theme Colors.
- A human being's confrontation with nature.
- A human being's lack of humanity.
- A rebellious human being's confrontation with a hostile society.
- An individual's struggle toward understanding, awareness, and/or spiritual enlightenment.
- An individual's conflict between passion and responsibility.
- Why do you want to tell this particular story?
- What point are you trying to make? ...
- Do you have something to say about life, the world, or about human nature? ...
- What issues do you constantly think about? ...
- What's a general question you're always asking or wondering about life?
How do I create a theme pack for Windows 10? Right-click a blank area of the desktop, select Personalize, and go to Themes. Select a background, accent color, Windows sound, and mouse cursor. Click the Save theme button, enter a name for the theme, and click Save.Why can't I download Microsoft Themes? ›
Open Settings, then go to Personalization > Themes and see if the installed themes are reflected in there. If not, try resetting the Windows Store cache. Click the Start menu, type wsreset and press Enter. Another fix is to go to Settings > App > Store > Advanced options > Reset then try downloading another theme.Are there any Themes for Windows 10? ›
- First, right-click on the Start menu and then choose Settings.
- From there, you will want to pick Personalization on the far right of the panel, which is where you can change your background, lock screen, and more.
- On the sidebar, choose Themes.
Can a WordPress plugin or theme contain a virus? Yeah. Easily. Especially plugins or themes that have not been downloaded from reputable sources like the WordPress plugin directory or marketplaces like Envato.
Generally, it is safe as long as you are installing the themes from official store as you can always revert back to default theme.Is theme patching safe? ›
Microsoft does not support theme patching. Thus, no theme patching software is safe to use. In addition, theme patching is a vector for malware.Are EXE safe to download? ›
An .exe file can be a virus, but that is certainly not true for all of them. In fact, the majority are safe to use or even necessary for your Windows system to run.Can viruses steal your passwords? ›
In a Trojan horse attack, an attacker disguises malware as legitimate software or a harmless link, possibly through a misleading email, a falsified website, or a fake advertisement. The downloaded malware then provides the attacker with access to your password data, as well as other data stored on your device.Which virus runs in background? ›
Worms generally are little programs that run in the background of your system.What apps should you not download? ›
- UC Browser. ...
- CLEANit. ...
- Dolphin Browser. ...
- Virus Cleaner – Antivirus Free & Phone Cleaner. ...
- SuperVPN Free VPN Client. ...
- RT News. ...
- Super Clean – Master of Cleaner. ...
- Fildo Music.
Google Play Store and the Apple App Store are the safest places to download apps, but that doesn't mean these platforms are free from all kinds of harmful applications as well. To stay safe from malicious apps you need to be extra careful and keep some things in mind.Should I install child theme? ›
A WordPress child theme gives you a safe way to customize your WordPress theme's code. If you want to make direct edits to your theme's CSS, HTML, or PHP, you should absolutely use a WordPress child theme. Otherwise, you might lose your changes the next time you update your theme.Is Windows 10 safe to patch? ›
This means installing it is ultimately less important than installing a security patch. Skipping this one won't negatively impact your system unless you're dealing with some of the glitches it fixes. Many users understandably feel jaded downloading so many Microsoft updates and getting burned by software glitches.What does downloading a patch mean? ›
Patches are software and operating system (OS) updates that address security vulnerabilities within a program or product. Software vendors may choose to release updates to fix performance bugs, as well as to provide enhanced security features.
- Check it with Windows itself.
- Upload the file to VirusTotal.
- Who is the publisher?
- Run it in Windows Sandbox.
- Check the .exe's network activity for suspicious behavior.
- To scan specific files or folders, right-click the ones you want then select Scan with Microsoft Defender. ...
- To turn on Microsoft Defender Antivirus in Windows Security, go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
A Trojan Horse (Trojan) is a type of malware that disguises itself as legitimate code or software. Once inside the network, attackers are able to carry out any action that a legitimate user could perform, such as exporting files, modifying data, deleting files or otherwise altering the contents of the device.